Thursday, January 4, 2018

Sunflowers

I was invited to join a group of people who planted sunflower seeds last November. They were supposed to be planted on Melbourne Cup day, the first Tuesday in November. I think we anticipated the date by a few days.
We planted 6 seeds but only 4 seem to be growing.
They are definitely growing! They are quite tall - and they are starting to flower.

I am also in a group that does small art quilts and our current challenge is to be inspired by an artist. I have done two inspired by Van Gogh, as well as Kathryn Harmer Fox, using the technique she taught early in 2017 (last year now!). Both of these artists have done gorgeous sunflower pieces.

Now the challenge is to use my photos to come up with something. I am not bothering to try to emulate both artists, I can just be inspired by the fact that they have used sunflowers as their inspiration.



I am loving seeing the flowers slowly open. The patterns are gorgeous. Not sure how I will develop this work but am looking forward to it.



It is strange that the Unfinished Business piece I have been working on also has a sunflower theme. I am currently trying to finish another vessel that is inspired by a pansy needlework pattern. I have come to a temporary (I hope it is temporary!) standstill with it. I am hoping to get going again soon - but the forecast for rather hot weather is not auspicious for doing much work.

Still, there is lots happening in my mind. Here's hoping it translates to actual work soon.

No comments: