Thursday, July 27, 2017

Inspired by ... the date! And Mondrian

As the header says, the date got me going - 27/7/17.

This month's artist is Piet Mondrian, about whom I knew nothing. I still don't know much, have just done a very lightweight search.

I have seen his work, and similar artists, around the place without knowing who did it.

It was hard to come up with something that wasn't just a copy. I'm not sure I've succeeded, even though it is my own interpretation.

I decided to do reverse appliqué, seeing I was reminded recently of how often I have used it in the past.

I also just used pieces of fabric I already had. They are not totally flat colours but I have stuck to the three primary colours, and black and white.

I remembered that when I was doing the Design for Stitch course, a while back, we did a session on lines and shapes.  I got out my folder and came across an image that I quite liked.

But when I tried to make it on an A5 sized piece of paper, it wasn't going to work. And the black was not quite what I was looking for.

I used it to come up with a new design.  Then I realised that I was going to have to be cutting out some very small pieces if I put in all those shapes.

New design needed.

Here it is, all sewn and ready to be cut.


The fraying is always a bother with reverse appliqué, I'll have to see if I can get rid of all those little threads.

The finished item. I haven't put my initials on it yet because it is a bit hard to say which way up looks best. I'll have to give that some thought. 
I think I liked it better with the white border but too late now!

No comments: