Thursday, February 11, 2016

I Can't Resist

As I may have already said, the hollyhocks are gorgeous - and prolific. They keep flowering ...


and throwing beautiful spent flowers on the ground where I walk. I just can't let them go to waste!

Consequently, the freezer is getting more and more full of flowers. It's lucky we live near two supermarkets, there isn't all that much room in the freezer for food.

I keep picking the flowers up and photographing the beautiful patterns on them. I have also MANY photos of the flowers.
Can you see the cute little face in the white part? Or is it a monstrous face??




Now I have discovered the pretty little seed pods.



I even found some seeds lying on the ground today. 


I will have to start designing!

The shapes make me think of a workshop I did a few years ago with Jane Sassaman. I will have to go back to my notes and see what I can do with the ideas floating around in my head.

I also have quite a bit of fabric, dyed using the hollyhocks. They aren't all the correct colour for representing the flowers but that doesn't matter, one of the good things about Jane's class was the stylising of the images. I can use whatever colours I want, it doesn't actually have to look like hollyhocks, they are just my starting point.

If I ever get around to doing more than looking and thinking.

You can find a downloadable PDF, and video, at Quilting Arts, about this design process.


2 comments:

theregatha said...

Perhaps as winter comes along you could try Hollyhock soup? Just kidding, but I have the same problem with my freezer. The colours are gorgeous, have you tried pressing them directly onto the cloth? (recommend mordanting the cloth first)

Mary said...

Not sure what I will do with them yet. I did get an interesting result a while ago when I accidentally let the flowers touch some damp, mordanted cloth. I might go down that path again. I just have to get my act into gear.