You can see one here - I was developing the idea for this piece, unbeknownst to me at the time.
I had done the majority of the sewing on the banner quilt without a backing piece of fabric. This made it rather messy for the machine, meaning I had to brush it out more frequently than usual. It also meant that any mistakes, tangles, etc, will be hidden when I finish it off!
|The back of the quilt, before I put the backing on.|
I remember being told, in my beginner quilting classes, that you should never have more than a handspan free of quilting.
To finish off, I had to decide what I wanted, an obvious border or something that would, hopefully, blend in. As I have been using small pieces of fabric, I didn't have many pieces that would be long enough to do the border.
I managed to find some that seemed to echo the colours on the quilt and joined them together to make my edges. The silhouette made it easier, I could just put black on that edge, and I could use the border to extend the bottom part of the silhouette.
So here it is, the finished piece.