Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Disguising the mistakes in my Optical Illusion quilt

I have had another go at the quilt which has the small squares that didn't line up.  I had put it away in disgust but still liked the effect from a distance. Having blurry distance vision helped.

I decided that I couldn't just let it lie around being another UFO.  I got out the left-over bamboo batting, put a backing on using a piece of fabric that I had bought to trial as the optical illusion solid colour but rejected for the darker fuchsia colour, and sewed it all together.

I looked at the designs in the books I got from Dijanne Cevaal and found one I liked.  A wavy grid that I hoped would subtly disguise the non-matching corners.



Isn't it amazing how looking through a camera changes your view of something?  I hadn't noticed the strong delineation between the blues, purples and the red. Luckily I had decided not to use if for the call for entries so I didn't get all stressed, as I would have if I had been entering it. Now I can just enjoy it.
Just when you think it is finished, you have to bind it, put a hanging sleeve and generally tidy it up.  Still a few hours of work to do yet.
But the sewing has disguised the uneven squares quite adequately.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your quilt, beautiful colours!!!
Also enjoyed catching up on your earlier posts with those great photos!
Yes, didn't quite start this year as expected, but so is life :-) I'm still behind with everything. Glad to get in touch again!

theregatha said...

Well done Mary, it looks gorgeous.

Mary said...

Vera, it is good to hear from you. I hope the hot weather hasn't hit you too hard. Thanks for the positive comments.

Mary said...

Thanks theregatha, I am quite pleased with it - and the fact that I actually have a place to hang it, one of the household members put in a request for me to finish it and give it to her!! Hooray!!