I have wanted to play around with a new template for a free motion machine thread bowl and today seemed the perfect time. I have tried this idea before, with some success but not complete satisfaction. My previous attempts have just used a flat circle that was moulded over a bowl and the remnants of the soluble fabric provided stiffener.
This time I wanted it to hold its shape itself, not by depending on stiffener. So I had to find a template that would do that. I knew that I should be able to do it because my cocoons have their own shapes but I hadn't been trying to make a regular, bowl shape. I looked on the internet but didn't find what I was looking for. Some sites were too mathematical and most templates were for paper craft which was helpful but not exactly what I wanted.
I drew a few templates and cut them up to see how they would go. I finally came up with one I thought might work.
|Ignore the inside circle, it was too far in and I drew a new, larger circle.|
I folded the paper into four equal parts and cut straight up from the inside circle - this wasn't measured, I just cut and hoped.
|The angle of the cut from the central circle (remember, I didn't use the smallest circle) will determine the angle of the side of the bowl.|
As I was trying a new idea, I decided that I should stick to as easy a task as possible. My recent work has been for the Suspension exhibition which was in black to white so I used the materials I had for that. No colour decisions, no new threads and fabrics to find. Much easier.
|Fabric laid out to give some strength to the bowl.|
All I had to do was come up with a template that works.
|The sewn template - now to see if it really does work.|
But ... I have been reading some interesting quilting books lately and have other things I'd like to play with, so the bowls may get made, may not.
There is a design for a small tapestry on my mind too.
And I need to think about what I might do with all those little bits of silk I have been dyeing.
Ah, summer holidays.