Sunday, April 22, 2012

Textile Exhibition at Heide Museum of Modern Art

On one of our excursions taking our overseas visitor around, we called in to Heide Museum of Modern Art. Most fortuitously, there was a textile exhibition on  It was Louise Saxton's Sanctuary. She had made some very interesting pieces using old fabrics, embroideries, laces, tablecloths, doilies, etc.  She had cut the up into very small pieces and then reassembled them to make new images.  They were pinned to tulle, no sewing that I could see.
Actually, now that I think about it, I saw some of her work a few years ago, in the Tamworth Biennial exhibition. (This link is actually teaching notes for schools, quite interesting.)
She used old embroideries such as we still have in the cupboard.  I really must get them out one day and see what sort of condition they are in.  I definitely recognised some old tablecloths in her work.
Once again, no photos were allowed.  There are some nice images here.


We wandered around outside in the sculpture garden, enjoying the wonderful autumn weather.  There were quite a few students there, drawing, using their laptops and generally looking as if it was an ideal class to be in.

2 comments:

parlance said...

I'd better get on over there and have a look. (Heide, I mean.)

Mary said...

Yes, it is quite interesting. You have plenty of time, it is on till July 29th.