Thursday, January 5, 2012

Backyard Creatures

It was much cooler today so I ventured out to do some silk dyeing.  As I was putting my hand in the passionfruit vine to find the water tank tap, I remember some advice I read lately - don't put your hand where you can't see your fingertips.  As I couldn't see them, I looked more carefully.  At first I was taken aback by the many little creatures I could see - but it turned out they were only harmless - to humans.  But there were A LOT of them.  I was not sure what they were so have done some brief research.  This link has what looks like them - they are called Passion-vine Hoppers, a bit of a clue that I could be on the right track seeing they were on the passionfruit vine and they flew away when I moved the vine.




Now we will have to see what preys on them and hope there are plenty of them about. Maybe it will be some of the creatures that are eating our fruit and they will leave the fruit alone.

1 comment:

parlance said...

To be quite honest, I don't know of any creature that eats them, but I guess there must be one somewhere. Perhaps not here in Australia, though. I wonder if they are native?