Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Women's Salon: Voice

Tonight I went to the opening of the Women's Salon annual exhibition at the Counihan Gallery in Brunswick.  I know several of the artists whose work was accepted into the exhibition.  The artists are all connected to Moreland city. The theme this year was to celebrate the centenary of women achieving the vote in Victoria's Legislative Assembly elections. Joan Kirner opened the show and gave an inspiring talk.

Carla and Dana with their work
The works were done in a variety of media and the artists' statements were especially interesting in this exhibition, many relating to women in our state or the artists' personal history.

Not only did I know some of the artists through my RMIT textile and design course, I knew some who are parents of past students of mine - it was a bit shocking to hear how grown up some of the children I taught as 5 year olds are now.  How time passes quickly!

There was also performance art, music from the Brunswick Women's Choir - wonderful.

No comments: