Thursday, August 4, 2011

Pruning the trees

It is the time to prune the fruit trees - so I'm told, I'm so not a gardener.  We are having really strange weather at the moment, talk about Hot August Night.  Very strange weather for winter.

The olive tree has been covered in olives for ages and the windy night threw a lot on the ground today.  I swept them up in the hope that I might eventually use them for dyeing.  (I posted about using olives for dyeing earlier.) I haven't done any dyeing for ages but am gradually regaining enthusiasm. Maybe it is seeing all that fruit on the ground, going to waste. I am pretty sure I will get a reasonable result when I look at the stained driveway, maybe I should try contact dyeing rather than boiling the fruit.  I will have to give this some thought. The Indian minahs were not happy, they love eating the olives.

Anyway, this made me think of some of the trees we saw in Paris.  There were a lot of instances of trees shaped into rectangles.
Here are a few examples. The first two are near the Louvre, I think it was the Tuileries gardens.  We did so much that I am still trying to sort out what all my photos are.
Yes, it did rain but we didn't let it stop our enjoyment.

A very regulated area - not a 'wilderness'.
Obviously, a different day. Very summery.

View from the Pompidou Museum
Not all the trees were cropped, this is a view from near the top of the Pompidou Museum.
Other people take photos of the Eiffel Tower or the Notre Dame, I did too.  But it was the small things, such as the shaping of the trees, that I found just as interesting - but not as magnificent as the cathedral.

No comments: