Friday, August 27, 2010

Screen printing on hard surfaces

As I said in a previous post, I had the opportunity to learn about screen printing on paper and hard surfaces last Friday.
After we played around with paper, we used our exposed screen (mine had two designs on it) to print onto wood.



We had to use fabric binder rather than paper binder but it seems to have worked well.  I used a photo of grass that I took at Darebin Parklands, my design inspiration for everything at the moment.  I had used the photo to develop this design as part of my work for the Maurice Kain competition.

One of the things that I am loving about the course (Textiles and Design at RMIT) is that designs and skills are transferrable across subjects and projects - and I am seeing that more clearly now in my own work.

Today we are going to use the laser cutter and etcher to work further with the wood.  Then we are going to use the dye sublimation printer on polyester to produce some fabric to incorporate into the piece.  At least, I think we are going to do all that today - we will do at least one of the processes.

No comments: