I have redone the binding along the top but it still isn't right.
I unpicked the vessel and have started making a new back piece.
I was also unhappy with the back because one of the flowers had been caught up in the binding. That had annoyed me too, not enough to unpick it but enough to make me unpick it when put with the other problem.
I decided to make a totally different image on the back - partly because I used up a piece of fabric I had dyed years ago and don't have any more.
I made my drawing a bit smaller (the wonders of modern technology and what printers can do for you) and traced it onto some dissolvable fabric.
I wanted to try using some silk roving to see what it would look like. Then I remembered that I have some sticky dissolvable fabric and laid it out on there. I put the dissolvable fabric that I had traced the image onto on top.
I put it in a hoop and sewed along the lines. I wanted it to stay in one piece, so I have done a bit of random sewing, hoping to catch it all together.
It is currently drying on a towel.
I now have to cut out the back piece of felt, making sure that it is the correct shape, then sew on the backing and then attach the silk roving.
There will be several hours needed to sew it all together. But I was not happy with it as it was, so I can only hope this iteration works.